Monday, June 02, 2008

~Always Abounding In Good Works~

The theme for Young Women this year is: "Be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works" (Mosiah 5:15). As a presidency we decided to emphasize the Good Works part of the scripture. We have a poster board with the words Good Works divided into squares. Each week we ask the young women and leaders if they've done any good works during the past week. If they have then they get to color in a square and after it's all filled in we'll have a party.Recently we "upped the ante" and are encouraging them to go out of their way to serve others. I've been very conscious of this and have really looked each week to do something so I can be an example to them.

So, today I had an amazing experience and wanted to tell someone so I decided to blog it.

I was grocery shopping and I was on a time constraint. It seemed that in my errands throughout the day people were just being inconsiderate. For example, parking their cart in the middle of the aisle and walking away or having conversations in front of the item I was trying to get. So, by the time I hit the grocery store I wasn't feeling very charitable at all.

On my list was cereal. In the cereal section they were having a special of buy 3 for $7 and then get a free gallon of milk. Because my family is allergic to dairy, I wasn't going to get the milk. But, as I reached the dairy department, I felt really strongly to get the milk. And I was frustrated because then I knew I would have to go out of my way to get rid of it. But, I thought, I'll just give it to B. (our neighbor) when I pick him and my kids up from school. Then as I was leaving the store I saw a family with three kids. I stopped and explained that it was free and since they had three kids I thought they might be able to use it. They were very surprised, but said yes and took the milk. As I walked out of the store (and even now as I'm writing about it) I started to cry. The spirit has been so strong in regards to this. I don't know the family and I will probably never see them again, but for some reason I know I was supposed to give them the milk.

I am so grateful for experiences like this to remind me that Heavenly Father can see the big picture and knows what people need. I know that I really needed this experience today and am grateful for the promptings of the spirit.

The hymn "Have I Done Any Good?" has been going through my mind so, I'll leave you with the words:

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

(Text and music by Will L. Thompson)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Becky that is a great experience thanks so much for sharing it! And thanks to you for the Good Works chart.

alisha said...

You're an example to us leaders, too...I need to be more conscious about this during the week. I love how aware you always are of spiritual promptings.