Thursday, February 07, 2008

~Lent~

When I was in college many of my friends were Catholic. Every year on Ash Wednesday they would discuss what they would give up that year. Even though I wasn't Catholic, I saw it as a great idea and would also give something up. Over the course of my college years I gave up skipping classes, watching R-rated movies, swearing, and caffeine in addition to other "bad" habits that conflicted with my values. And I was good at it. I usually was able to follow through better than my Catholic friends. Of course, they'd been doing it longer than I had and I think it was easier for me because it was a new idea. (Okay, I'm also very competitive.) After the first few years I recognized it as having had a big influence in my life. The year I gave up skipping classes was the best semester I had. I've only seen one R-rated movie since the year I chose to give up those (and it made me feel ugly inside). And I definitely have cleaner speech. Caffeine was gone for years until we found that, for me, it prevents migraines.

I'd forgotten about how much I enjoyed Lent until I read that yesterday was Ash Wednesday. So, I've decided to relive old times and give up something for Lent.

So, this year for Lent, I'm giving up staying up late. This is probably my worst habit. And definitely the one I need to work on the most.

Not only does this work well for Lent, it is one of my New Year's Resolutions, it is a commandment, it is an "order" from my doctor, and it works as a Personal Progress experience (which is also a New Year's Resolution). Plus, the Bear is always asking, "Are you coming to bed soon?" And I really need to mean it when I say, "Yes."

The Personal Progress experience is Choice and Accountability #1. A daughter of God can make wise decisions and solve problems. Read 1 Nephi 15:8, 2 Nephi 32:3, Alma 34:19-27, Ehter 2-3, and Doctrine & Covenants 9:7-9. Follow a pattern of regular scripture study and prayer to receive help in making personal decisions such as choosing good friends, being kind to others, getting up on time, or other decisions. Discuss with a parent or Young Women leader how this helped you. (When it says to discuss with a parent or YW leader, I just talk about it with the Bear. I also always write about it in my journal.)

So hopefully when Easter Sunday roles around, I will be able to report that I have replaced an old habit with a fabulous new one.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Music to my ears. I really do love Personal Progress since I have been doing it. It really does help me work toward good goals, we need this at all ages!